Hello Friends!

My life has gotten a little more grown up lately... New forever love of my life, new house, new job and officially a honeymooner Mrs.! Everything is a shiny adventure and untrodden territory. Follow along as I navigate the world of being a grown up!

6.11.2009

Mommy, can I read your blog?

It's official. We're a blogging generation. Mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, grandparents, aunts and uncles are blogging about everything under the sun. Blogs of today are like journals of "the olden days." Looking back through old diaries, I laugh at the tragedy of having crushes or getting a bad grade or arguing with my parents. I often wonder why I cared so much at that moment to pour my heart out onto a page.

It got me to thinking about the day when I found a journal of my mother's and read it (of course). Don't worry, mom, I don't even remember what it said. Realizing this a couple of years after first committing the crime, I snooped to find it again and memorize its words, but alas, it was nowhere to be found. I was a snoopy little brat when I was younger.

Nowadays, though, I wouldn't have to stand on top of my parents' rattan clothes hamper and pull down a dusty box from the top shelf in a closet. I could simply Google my mother's name and probably find her blog (if she had one). Would you let your children (or future children) read your blog?

Blogs are so public that many people do not share their deepest, inner-most secrets and desires and dreams like the days of old (ha!). But what about your Facebook or Twitter? We're leaving an electronic trail of our lives and the one audience we may have not considered is our [future] children. I wonder what you will say when someday a little one says to you, "Mommy/Daddy, can I read your blog?"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...