Hello Friends!

My life has gotten a little more grown up lately... New forever love of my life, new house, new job and officially a honeymooner Mrs.! Everything is a shiny adventure and untrodden territory. Follow along as I navigate the world of being a grown up!

4.26.2010

What's cookin?

Tonight I made Italian Fried Round Steak with Parmesan Noodles & Peas.

At a loss for culinary creativity and finding that I was cooking the meals that my mom made me when I was growing up, I asked Josh's mom to share some of her recipes.  I am looking forward to trying new recipes that are sentimental examples of our families coming together.  And tonight...


Ingredients:
Butter
Round steak or sirloin or London broil
Salt and pepper

Slice the steak horizontally as thinly as possible. Use a really sharp knife, and push down on the top of the steak with your left hand as you run the knife through the meat as thinly as possible.

Melt butter in a heavy skillet. Let it sizzle and brown, but not burn. Then put in the meat slices. Salt and pepper (pretty heavily) each slice. When the meat is brown on the bottom, turn it over and salt and pepper the new side. When the other side is brown also, put meat into a dish to hold warm as you refill the skillet.

We served this with boxed parmesean noodles.
Sure, it's not super good for you with all the butter, but boy, is it GOOD!  Prep time was about 10 minutes to slice up about 1.5 lbs of round steak, warm the butter (I used about 1/4 C) and measure out the water and milk for the Parmesan noodles.  Cook time was about 20 minutes, but could have been less had I timed the pasta better.  I used Bird's Eye frozen peas that you steam in the bag.  I LOVE these things - so convenient and don't spoil like the fresh ones.

I figured I'd do some quick math to determine the value in cooking meals at home.

Total cost of this meal including a beer & a glass of wine:  $10
Gross factor: There was a big layer of fat on the bottom of the cut of meat.
Bonus:   The meat itself was really lean (good thing, to make up for the butter - ha!)
Tip:  Turn the heat on your pasta liquids to bring it to a boil when  you put your first piece of steak on to cook.

1 comment:

international hillary said...

I love cooking for myself, it saves so much money over going out and I feel so much more connected to the food. I use google to find new recipe ideas and try not to make the same thing in a two month period of time. I am totally gonna try this steak. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...